Drones or UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) are often utilized by the military and the government to conduct surveillance to a person or property. And it’s even used for recreational purposes by hobbyists. But as drone technology continues to improve, the functionality of these gadgets has also expanded to different sectors in the society, more particularly in the security industry.
And if you’re interested to know more about how this unmanned device can protect you, then we advise you to continue reading as we going to tackle this topic about security drone technology in today’s article.
Features Of A Successful Drone For Security
The use of an aerial drone is true to its namesake, an unmanned aerial vehicle. This means that while it does require an operator who can remotely direct and take control of the device, it is in essence autonomous and able to move around and maneuver according to directions of the controller.
Having said that, here are the features of a drone for security purposes:
- Accurate telecommunication linking
- Pristine image quality
- Be able to remain discrete
- Can endure extended flight operations
Usage Of Security Drones
The primary benefit of using aerial drones is, of course, looking after your personal safety as well as the safety of your home. But nowadays, drones are also being used in more practical public applications, which are going to be discussed in this section:
- Risk Assessment – The use of UAVs is now applied to risk assessment. To be specific, remote controlled drones are being utilized to identify potential hazards, determine the number of armed threats (if necessary), then conduct a thorough assessment and take action.
Evaluating possible risks using security drones are now being adapted by law enforcement authorities, fire department, and other sectors who are responsible for maintaining the safety and security of the community.
- Traffic Surveillance – Monitoring road traffic via drones can exceed the limitations of conventional traffic monitoring since it is very simple to use and can cover large areas at the same time. And this can be a huge advantage so that road traffic staff can easily identify choke points on the road. Likewise, a high-resolution security drone can relay real-time videos so that the command center can immediately dispatch on-ground personnel in the event of accidents and vehicle breakdowns that are causing the flow of traffic to slower that the usual.
- Railway Surveillance – Drones are now being used by freight railroad owners and railway facilities to ensure the tracks, connections, and bridges are in +good working condition. Also, these devices are flown over to identify areas in need of an upgrade, replacement, and maintenance. In addition, drones are operated to high risk areas to prevent accidents from happening that might otherwise result in casualties.
- Remote Area And Facilities Inspection – UAVs are also operated within huge warehouses, construction sites, pipelines, and tunnels for the purpose of inspecting the area for repairs and occasional inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Antipoaching And Construction Equipment Theft Prevention – Drones are also beneficial for nature reserves since it can prevent critically endangered animals like elephants, rhinos, tigers, and gorillas from becoming victims of the illegal wildlife trade. In fact, park rangers are now using state of the art drones like Super Bat Da-50, Air Shepherd ZT-TIC, and 100 km Skywalker to catch criminal poachers who hunt during the night time through thermal imaging and infrared technologies.
And if drones are working wonders in the vast jungles of Asia and Africa, these devices can also secure construction sites from tools, machineries, lumber, and equipment theft which also happen during night time.
Benefits Of Using Drones For Security
Remote Monitoring – Drones have the capability to cover vast distances, even difficult to reach areas easily than a hired security personnel. And this feature is particularly useful in situations when the security guard is assigned to watch large areas of operation with expensive inventory of supplies at a distance.
Noise-Free Hovering – New drone models are now made with vibration dampening motors to reduce noise and hover quietly. And this feature is advantageous when monitoring is required as response for intrusions inside the facility.
Ability To ‘See’ In Low Light Conditions – Modern UAVs come with Forward Looking InfraRed (FLIR) technology so you’ll be able to record and monitor darkened areas within a fixed location. And the good thing about this is night vision capabilities are made more advanced and yet the price of the drones have been reduced so that they’ll be more affordable to everybody.
Rapid Response – Security drones also offer significant benefit when it comes to rapid response situations since the operator/personnel can quickly reach distant locations and evaluate the situation before taking the appropriate course of action.
All in all, the security drone has come a long way from being just a recreation and surveillance tool. And considering the prices of modern drones have now been reduced, you can avail of this cool device to provide security for your property or large facility today.